Monday, September 27, 2010

Wisconsin in the Fall


The Drummer and I went home for the weekend to celebrate my friend, and future bride, Sara (and her wonderful fiancee Aaron)'s engagement with a straight up Wisconsin picnic.

It should also be mentioned that I'm the Matron of Honor for the wedding, something that I am extremely humbled and excited for. We got to go dress shopping and we found *the* dress!


I worked out extra hard the few days before I left for Wi, fully knowing that my diet and exercise plan would be facing intense adversity while away. Of course, I was right. I didn't get in any real workouts (even though we did do a lot of walking) and as far as food was concerned...I'm not sure I even want to talk about it.

Thankfully, at this point in my journey, I'm not *really* capable of the type of self-destruction that I have participated in in the past. (of course it's possible, but not AS probable.) I ate fairly well until the party on Saturday, and even at the party, I did better than I would have expected. My plate included small, spoon sized portions of macaroni and potato salad, a spoon of guacamole, and a spoon of taco dip. AND, I didn't go back for a second helping :) Now, if you've ever been to a Wisconsin party, you know that aside from almost everything including meat (which of course, I had to pick around - but that's just less eating!) there are at least four desserts for every person. In past times, this would have been a big deal...but this time, I ate one dessert - Aaron's Mom's brownie/chocolate peanut butter rice crispie bars.

Then, the Drummer and I spent a day eating our favorite Madison foods...including Papa Johns and New Orleans Takeout. Ugh. Honestly, it was fun but I was so full after NOT it seriously affected the rest of the day :( However, It was wonderful experiencing my home state again in the fall. There's NOTHING like the smell of Autumn, the changing leaves, and the cool breeze. I even treated myself to a Cinnamon Harvest latte from Steep and Brew when the Drummer and I made our usual trip there. I always visit the Steep and Brew, every trip...it's where the Drummer and I met 6 years ago. :)


A short video of some highlights, using my new P/S camera...it shoots HD and is nice and SMALL compared to carrying 5d/lenses everywhere! Love it.

The upside of the trip: my weight loss was noticeable enough for loved ones/friends to mention it. That was a wonderful feeling. Now, I'm hoping to go home for Christmas and surprise them again.

2 comments:

Monkeymama said...

I didn't realize you met at Steep and Brew. That was one of my favorite study spots. I love that photo you took of the Steep and Brew drink with Madison in the background

Nissa Nicole said...

Yup! Dave's band's poet hosted an open mic there on Friday nights, and my band came there to play.

Some of my best Madison memories are from the Steep and Brew!